AUDITIONING @ UI
- January 27
- February 4
- February 10
Domestic students from the contiguous 48 states, who wish to be considered for music scholarships, must audition in person. Exceptions to this rule will be made on a case-by-case basis. The University of Iowa School of Music offers an online audition option. Online auditions will be open to anyone seeking admission. Please contact me if you have a hardship that prevents you from auditioning in person.
- For general information and to register for an audition, please see Undergraduate Auditions.
* Link requests are online submissions only
Applicants should submit a Music Supplemental Application by February 15, 2023. You must submit your application well in advance of your desired audition day.
Domestic students from the contiguous 48 states, who wish to be considered for music scholarships, must audition in person. Exceptions to this rule will be made on a case-by-case basis. The University of Iowa School of Music offers an online audition option. Online auditions will be open to anyone seeking admission. Don't hesitate to get in touch with the studio professor/area head for whom you will be auditioning if you have a hardship that prevents you from auditioning in person.
Online Audition Requirements:
- Link 1: major or minor scale (2 octaves)
- Link 2: Etude (Franz Simandl, Storch-Hrabe, etc.)
- Link 3: Solo work
Compositions are welcome in PDF format, but not required.
- December 1 for fall semester
- October 1 for spring semester
An application includes:
- Personal Statement - This required statement should address your musical, scholarly and personal experience and proposed course of study in 1-2 pages.
- Three Letters of Recommendation - List your references and their contact information in your application to the University. The application will contact your references with instructions on how to submit their letters.
Resume or CV
Unofficial Transcripts - Unofficial transcripts from all previously attended post-secondary institution are required. If admitted to the University, Graduate Admissions will solicit official transcripts upon confirmation of enrollment.
GRE Test Scores - The GRE is not required for our School of Music. Musicology applicants are recommended to submit scores; University of Iowa code is 6681.
TOEFL Exam scores - International applicants must submit official TOEFL scores; the University of Iowa code is 6681. The English Proficiency Requirement has specifics on scores and waivers for applicants who have completed a bachelor's degree (or higher) at an accredited university in the United States.
Application Fees - The application fee of $60 ($100 for international applicants) in your online application.
Online Audition Requirements:
- Link 1: Movement from a major sonata or a concerto
- Link 2: Movement from any Bach Suite
- Link 3: Orchestral excerpts of your choice (could be in one or two separate links)
Compositions are welcome in PDF format but not required.
If a student wants to mail an actual CD or DVD, the "tracks" will be treated as their links.
A live Zoom Graduate Audition can be requested through correspondence with the instructor.
If you are considering majoring in double bass at the University of Iowa, you may want to consider a trial lesson. I provide a free private lesson that enables students to get a sense of my teaching style. If you are too far and would like a lesson through Zoom, please contact me to set up a time.